Friday 11 March 2011

Famous Five Friday


...Because sometimes, you just need to unearth the fine, upstanding, adventurous and forever hungry little Blyton in you.


I won't deny it, I am a true fan of Kid's Lit, especially that kind of innocent, fun-loving, picnic-and-midnight-feast-filled stuff one gets from the post-WW2 period. Halcyon days concerned solely with adventures, wholesome food and good manners. In short, feel-good books to cuddle up to.


Admittedly I haven't had quite as much enthusiasm or energy for such adventurous tales since having babies. But I know I will do again soon, once they are of an age to join in the fantasy and I can pack them off on picnics and treasure hunts. They will know that the world is there to explore and how to interact respectfully with old and young people alike, and those from all walks of life. And they will have healthy appetites.


I recently discovered the wondrous Cherry Cake and Ginger Beer which relates a stunning array of recipes (and delicious background titbits) from all those splendid feasts we find in our favourite children's books. What more could you ask for? 


I have this dream of baking and creating lots of treats and wholesome goodies for my kids to fuel their explorations. And my own of course. So I'll be keeping a copy of Cherry Cake and Ginger Beer close at hand!


Roll on oven day...!


Hope you all have treats and a good adventure (or book substitute) to keep you entertained today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...