Tuesday 12 April 2011

How to be a Super Woman: Meet Pixie Mama!


1. Hi! Tell us a bit about yourself.
I’m Polly. I’m a full time mama to 3 little pixie girls who are home educated. I also run a blog – Pixie Mama – and an Etsy Shop – Pixie Mama Crafts. I’m a compulsive crafter, an avid thrifter, and a homebody. I can usually be found doing 20 things at once!


2. Do you have a 'grand plan'? Do you think this has changed at all over the years?
Not really. Even as a child, I never had any great ambitions. I kind of muddled my way through my teenage years, with no idea where I was heading. By some miracle I came out the other side (relatively) unscathed, but still with no idea where I wanted my life to go. I met my husband a month shy of my 21st birthday, and within 6 months, we were married, pregnant and living in our own house!! Since then I’ve let life happen as it will... 2 more children came my way, and after a difficult start to last year, I found myself in a whole new world of blogging and crafting. I felt as though I’d found my niche. I made plans for a shop of my own – and I’ve actually realised that dream!

There are still no grand plans, what will be will be, and I’ve learnt to roll with the punches!


3. What gets you up in the morning?
Well, more often than not it’s my 2 year old shouting ‘Polly’ at me and trying to open my eyelids for me!! Last year was a tough time for me personally. I hit rock bottom, and it was a long climb back up. Along the way I learnt the importance of ‘self care’. So another thing that gets me up in the morning is exercise! I run around 5/6k pretty much every single day. Exercise makes me feel fantastic, and is the best way to start my days.


4. Run us through a typical kind of day
Visit Polly's Etsy Shop for original artwork and handicrafts
Well, if I’m lucky then it doesn’t start too early! Wake up time is usually around 7am for the littlest one. We’ll head downstairs, for some milk (her) and tea (me). Then she’ll snuggle in my bed with her dad and some books while I do some running. After a run and a shower, the bigger two girls are usually just waking up, so we’ll all head down for some breakfast and maybe some cartoons. Then the kiddos will get dressed and often go for a bounce on the trampoline or  a run in the woods while I catch up on emails, etsy convos, blog comments etc.

Mid-morning is usually ‘school'-work’ time. We don’t do very much formal work, but right now my middle daughter is learning to read and write, so will do some practice on those, and the eldest has some maths and English grammar work to do!

If I have any errands to run (groceries, post office, etc.) then I’ll often pop out around midday, the littlest still needs a nap, but in the house she’s reluctant to go as she doesn’t want to miss out on anything! Plus, left too late, her nap would mean I’d never get her to bed 

Home for lunch, then our afternoons depend on the weather. If it’s nice sometimes the girls will play outside, meaning I can catch up on some blogging, or some crafting. Or else we’ll head out to the local park, or the river for some fun and games.

If it’s not such good weather (which is often here in North Wales) then we’ll dig all the arts and crafts stuff out. Nothing better than glue and a pile of glitter on a grotty day! Or we’ll do some project work – often history based, the girls love anything old!

If I’m lucky the girls will be in a non-fighting mood, so they’ll play together and I can grab an hour to do some of my work (or the housework!) before it’s time to make dinner. Now the evenings are lighter, we usually go for a walk after dinner. There’s a stream not far from our house, the girls take their scooters and spend a happy hour burning off some energy! Then it’s home, pj’s on, and supper time. They usually go to bed around 8pm on a ‘normal’ day – though the bigger two often read for a while.

When they’re all tucked up it’s my time!!! Often I’ll spend my evenings catching up on work. Writing blog posts, listing Etsy things, or making new things for the shop. I try and make sure I have a couple of nights a week of no work. Then I’ll watch a movie, soak in the bath or just curl up with a book!

I usually go to bed around half 10/11ish – I need my sleep – and I learnt that getting a decent amount of sleep every night makes a huge difference to my mood!!! If I’m super lucky, everyone will sleep all night long – but that doesn’t happen that often.


5. When you experience a setback how do you pick yourself back up again?
I remind myself how far I’ve come in the last year, and in my lifetime. I’ve overcome so many things already, that I know that I am strong enough. I’ve taught myself to get back up after a fall, brush myself off, and keep going. Belief in myself, that I can do it and I am good enough, and remembering that I have overcome so many things in the past that I thought would be the end of me.


6. Who or what inspires you the most?
My girls. They are my reason for living, and my reason for overcoming all the difficulties I have faced. They are the reason I have fought so hard this last year to beat my depression, and to turn my life around. I want them to grow up believing that they can do anything they put their hearts to, that no-one is better than them, that the world is a wonderful place full of fun and adventures.


7. We all have bad days when we doubt ourselves and our abilities. How do you get through yours?
I’ve had more than my fair share of bad days over the years. And I’ve finally accepted that I’m never going to be rid of them completely. So, instead I’ve learnt how to deal with them. Sometimes, when the doubts start to niggle at me, and I feel like giving up, it’s because I’m worn out. I push myself and push myself, and sometimes I have to stop. If the doubts come and I’m exhausted, then I STOP. Stop everything that isn't essential (i.e.. feeding the girls) and just rest for a couple of days. We can escape negativity if we give ourselves the permission to do so. Acknowledge the lesson and then reset.

Other than that, the best tool I have is positive self talk. If that little voice starts up that I’m not good enough, asking me why I’m bothering, then I consciously repeat to myself over and over something positive – maybe, I AM GOOD ENOUGH, or I AM JUST AS GOOD AS EVERYONE ELSE, you get the idea – swapping the negative for a positive. Repeated over and over and it does start to sink in! Plus I think that by not allowing myself to dwell on those negative thoughts helps. Some times I’ll write them down, then write a list of why that thought isn’t true.
I keep a gratitude journal too. Every single day I write down 3 things from that day that I am grateful for. It forces me to focus on the good things in my life instead of the negative. It’s all too easy to focus on the bad things, and to dwell on them, and let them become truth.

We can choose to let go of our stories of our pasts, if the thoughts don’t serve you well, then drop them.

And the most important thing to do when you’re feeling overwhelmed? Stop, relax and BREATHE.


8. What do you feel are your greatest achievements and why?
My girls (obviously), but most of all, overcoming the difficult start to life. My life up until I was 20 was incredibly traumatic, and I could so easily live out my life playing the ‘victim’ role. BUT I have managed to put all of that behind me, and turn my life right around. 9 years ago I couldn’t see any point in continuing living. There was no way forward and I didn’t want to carry on. Today I live a wonderful life, I have 3 beautiful daughters, I get to spend my days with them and running my own business.

Proving those who told me I was worthless and of no use wrong is in itself my greatest achievement.


9. Tell us what you think constitutes a "Super Woman" and list 3 key ingredients for success.
I think a “Super Woman” is someone who refuses to be beaten down by life. Someone who fights for what she believes in. Someone who doesn’t let the bad things rule her life. Someone who rights her own story and doesn’t care what others think. Someone who is strong and knows that she is good enough. Someone who most of all enjoys life.

My 3 key ingredients for success are:

  • A positive attitude
  • The ability to live in the moment
  • Being able to find joy in simple things


10. Final words of wisdom?
"Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
You can find Polly over on her Blog, Facebook, Twitter & Etsy.

Do you know someone who fits the bill of Super Woman? Even yourself - don't be shy! If you would like to take part or recommend a friend, please send a message with the details to me at giveanearthly at gmail dot com. 

4 comments:

  1. Thanks lady :) looking forward to more in this series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you missus! Your blog has inspired me so much this past year. I look forward to more of these too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wonderful, so much of what you say rings true for me too. You're going to be a tough act to follow in this series ;)

    Love the Emerson quote- he's a hero of ideas for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you missus! Your blog has inspired me so much this past year. I look forward to more of these too :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...