Friday 8 July 2011

How to be a Super Woman: Meet Cassandra from Gypsy Love Warrior

1. Hi! Tell us a bit about yourself
My name is Cassandra, I'll be 29 in August, and I live in the great state of Texas with my boyfriend and mini dachshund, Freddy. We don't plan on having any children (a puppy is a handful!). By day I work at a university in the Human Resources department. My main responsibility is helping students through the process of finding jobs and working on campus.


My true passion is writing and art. In my precious spare time I make all kinds of things, from paintings to jewelry to altered glass bottles. I just recently set up an Etsy shop to share these creations with others.


I have always wanted to be a writer. From before I could even write I knew that's what I wanted to do. I was impatient going into kindergarten because we couldn't learn to write and read fast enough. My aspirations never changed as I grew older. When people asked, “What do you want to be when you grow up?” it was always a writer. I have published several poems in newspapers and magazines and more recently self-published my first collection of poetry. I've also just started a website and blog that focuses on self-love and loving life.


I can't forget to mention that I'm an avid dancer! I'm trained in classical ballet and can be found in a Nia class every week.


Go and Love Yourself!


2. Do you have a 'grand plan'? Do you think this has changed at all over the years?
The plan to be a working writer has never changed. Like I mentioned before, from the time I put pencil to paper I knew that is what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. It would be amazing to do nothing but write and create all day. I know that in time this will happen. But even if I never get paid another dime for my words, I'll be okay with that because it's not about the money – it's about writing from my heart and releasing those thoughts into the world. It's a gift and I'll do everything in my power to continue using it.


3. What gets you up in the morning?
Unfortunately, the alarm clock Monday-Friday. I have to be at work by 7:30 a.m. But on the weekends, I wake up to the sun or the sounds of the birds. If we're not talking literally, the chance to get one step closer to my dreams is what gets me up. Also, love, a good breakfast, an idea, Freddy's kisses and wagging tail, and the ability to dance and dream and create are all things that get me up in the morning (or the afternoon sometimes).


4. Run us through a typical kind of day
Monday-Friday is pretty much the same routine: wake up at 6:15, get dressed, pack my lunch, leave the house at 7:00 to get to work by 7:30. Then I'm at work until 4:30 doing various HR tasks. When I get home from work I usually try to get some exercise in, read, take the dog for a walk, and work on any projects I have going. Yeah, it's kind of boring, but the goal is to break out of the routine and live my dreams of living solely off of my creative work.


Find Cassandra on Etsy
5. When you experience a setback how do you pick yourself back up again?
Lots of introspection and journaling. Even reading an inspiring book helps me through those times. Of course, my family and boyfriend are always ready to listen and lend their advice. My boyfriend is great at problem solving and breaking things down into manageable pieces to help me get grounded again. The same goes for my family; there have been plenty of times when things didn't go according to plan and they were there to help me up and get me moving in the right direction again.


6. Who or what inspires you the most?
So many things and people inspire me! I feel like a whole slew of empowering women have come into my life to cheer me on. I guess I'd have to say the person who has inspired me the most is Francesca Lia Block. She has been my favorite author since I was 16 and I can always read her books for inspiration. I just recently finished taking two novel writing classes with her. Talk about a dream come true! I never thought my favorite author would be reading my work. This year has been filled with amazing moments like that.


7. We all have bad days when we doubt ourselves and our abilities. How do you get through yours?
I try to quiet my inner critic as much as possible. She's really good at saying things like, “Who do you think you are?” and, “You'll never make it,” but I imagine myself shutting the door on that voice and reminding myself that anything is possible and I know everything I need to know right now and that with faith and perseverance, I can achieve my goals.


8. What do you feel are your greatest achievements and why?
Just hearing other women say, “You've inspired me,” is an amazing achievement. To know that my words can help someone else heal and be inspired and dream big is the greatest feeling. I don't think anything can top helping others and using my gifts for the greater good.


9. Tell us what you think constitutes a "Super Woman" and list 3 key ingredients for success.
A Super Woman is a woman who gives completely of herself, but doesn't forget who she is and holds on to what makes her feel alive. It's a delicate balance and hard to do and I admire any woman who can be a mother, daughter, sister, wife, and still go after her dreams. Ingredients for success:
1. Be yourself
2. Express gratitude
3. Never give up


10. Final words of wisdom?
Squeeze all the goodness out of life; forget the naysayers; come in to this world full and leave it empty.

You can find Cassandra over on her website/blog, Etsy, Facebook, Twitter and Flikr.


Do you know someone who fits the bill of Super Woman? Even yourself - don't be shy! If you would like to take part or recommend a friend, please send a message with the details to me at giveanearthly at gmail dot com.

1 comment:

  1. Cassandra, your writings are beautiful. You are wise beyond your years. I did not take the time to become aware of looking inside for my own beauty while in my 20's. My journey has just begun but, better late than never. I will keep reading. xxxooo nancymatic

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...