Ok, so I''m planning to do something really brave/exciting/foolhardy, and that's to participate in Me Made June. Why is it so foolish of me? Oh well, you know there's two good reasons why not for a start. And then there's the others:
- We have one table space on board the boat. It's a fold-down one of which we only currently have space to use one leaf. And that is used for everything: meals, computer work, games, preparing food, artistry, storing mail/receipts/books and other randoms currently in use. So it's not ideal, shall we say, for creative projects that take time. And it's certainly not anywhere near big enough for sewing!
- I don't have an iron. Our inverter goes up to 500W. Travel irons start at 800W. Oh yes, I could go the old fashioned route and will probably have to at this rate, but it is a bummer!
- Every time I get my sewing machine out (invariably late at night when kids are in bed) something goes wrong and I spend the whole evening trying to fix it, without managing to sew a stitch.
- My enormous stash of homemade jewellery is... somewhere. Between having babies (jewellery and babes just don't go together for lots of reasons) and moving from camper van to boat it's got stuck away in storage.
- As you already know, I get about 10 minutes to dress/wash/brush my hair in the morning. If I'm lucky.
But those reasons are precisely why I want to give it a go. Earlier in the year I had a dream of taking the time to spend on my appearance to make myself feel better. But it hasn't happened. And as I feel I have less and less time to make things I find myself wanting to buy stuff - which is not how I want to feel at all. So I need to just make more effort!
Given my constraints I want to try and be realistic so my pledge will be a small one to most others taking part, but it's huge for me. Oh and I'm a novice so anything I make that's wearable is/will be a miracle! But here goes:
'I, Zoe, of Giveanearthly.blogspot.com, sign up as a participant of Me-Made-June '11. I endeavour to wear at least one self-made garment or accessory each day for the duration of June 2011'Who fancies joining me?! I plan to post some pics here (gosh how brave am I?) so you can tell whether I've managed it or not ;)